Continuing Education for Teachers Specializing in Special Ed

Continuing Education Units (CEU), Courses, and Credits for Teachers Specializing in Special Ed

Special education teachers have a unique and challenging role within the education system. In order to perform their jobs successfully, continuing education coursework may be required.

Continuing Education in Teaching Special Ed

Continuing education programs for special education teachers are designed to produce professionals that are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and competencies they need to help students with physical, developmental, or leaning disabilities in a variety of settings. Many states will require public school teachers to complete special education requirements in order to maintain or renew their teaching license, and specific requirements will vary by state.

Continuing Education Courses in Teaching Special Ed

There are a variety of continuing education courses available for teachers, and many of the course offerings are the same for school teachers. Some of the courses a teacher may be able to take include:

  • Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Advanced classroom management
  • Early childhood: Family-centered services
  • Early childhood: Observations & assessment
  • Early childhood: Program planning
  • Early childhood: Typical and atypical development
  • Educational assessment: Assessing student learning in the classroom
  • Harassment, bullying, and cyber-intimidation in schools
  • Autism and Asperger’s Disorder
  • Strategies for managing disruptive behavior
  • Drugs and alcohol in schools
  • The effects of stress, trauma, and violence on student learning
  • Understanding aggression

Continuing Education Requirements in Teaching Special Ed

Continuing education requirements for all teachers, including those with certain specializations, are dependent upon the state in which the teacher works. For example, the state of Wisconsin requires that in order for teachers to renew their license they complete six semester hours of coursework every five years. This requirement will vary from state to state, and students should check with the specific licensing and regulation department in their state to determine what requirements they should follow.

Speak Your Mind